Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Where do you live?


We are trying to put together a VERY large map of the area around Stony Point Road. We were inspired to create this map after taking the virtual fieldtrip to everyone’s house using Google Earth. This week we will be adding important landmarks to the map, including our own houses (once we figure out where they should go). Students are invited to do three sketches this week of their own house or apartment. On Thursday we will be meeting with Mary Lou to learn some strategies for sketching buildings. 

Today everyone took a sticky note with their address and tried to guess where their house/apartment should go on the map. The only roads that are currently marked are 20 (Stony Point Road), 250, and Profitt. There were also a few landmarks. including Stony Point Elementary School and McDonald's (shockingly EVERYONE knew where that was). Over the week we will be adding more labels and symbols to the map to make it easier for everyone to pick out their neighborhood. We'll be sure to take pictures of the map as we go to keep everyone updated on our progress.


1 comment:

  1. I think your blog is a terrific way to provide a window for others to see what you are learning and exploring at school.
    I really like your maps. I love this picture of just one way that everyone is connected. I wonder if you could determine how long it would take to walk to everyone's house, starting at the school?

    ReplyDelete