Over the past few days we have been reading a variety of books by Chris Van Allsburg. As a child, he was absolutely my favorite author-illustrator. Today I even shared a letter that I received from Van Allsburg after I wrote him in the fifth grade. Studying Van Allsburg's work is the perfect compliment to work with I wonders. His books are all very mysterious and leave us with so many questions. He has a great website that we looked at a little today:
Today we read The Garden of Abdul Gasazi.
Some our wonders included:
- I wonder how Chris Van Allsburg got the idea for the book?
- I wonder if the magician will do something to Fritz (the dog)?
- I wonder why there are no dogs allowed in the garden?
- I wonder if Abdul Gasazi really did turn Fritz into a duck... or was it a trick?
- I wonder how long the spell on Fritz will last?
- I wonder what Miss Hester will say?
- I wonder how Alan's hat got back?
All of these I wonders are helping us have conversation with a partner and as a class. We are learning what it means to work together to make meaning of a text.
No comments:
Post a Comment