
We are writing I AM poems in reponse to this book and are creating collages in the Art Studio with Mary Lou to accompany our poetry. Here is a glimpse at the first few lines in a few of our poems:
I am Strong
By : Caleb Evans
I am Sojourner Truth.
I wonder why they treat me so terribly.
I hear threats from the white people.
I see millions of sad black people.
I want to hear the truth not lies.
I am tired of being beaten.
I pretend that I do not feel sad for the black people like me
I feel angry for what they did to me
I touch the future with a blessing of hope
I worry about my friends and if they will survive.
I cry to see my back whipped by the slave catchers and their anger & hatred
I am big, black, and beautiful.
I am the Fire Within…
By: Hannah Anderson
I am a women who opened a door to freedom.
I wonder if whites will follow my freedom beliefs.
I hear the words I scream out in court with courage & hope on my side.
I see the darkness in whites eyes.
I want my heart to lead the way.
I am a women that opened your door to freedom.
I pretend not to know whites but I do fight back.
I feel the rain the shower me with to put fire of freedom out.
I touch freedom right here oh barely, just barely child.
I worry about the choices I make , am I doing the right thing?
No comments:
Post a Comment